Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, October 28, 2010

quiche and fudge

Thursday night is so comforting. You know that tomorrow is your last day of the "work week" and then it's the weekend!! Tonight Ben happens to be out canoeing with the tulane med school wilderness interest group. They learn how to be doctors, get this...in the wilderness. But tonight i'm pretty sure they're just canoeing around somewhere. So, after a run and yoga practice I am home cooking up some whole grain rice and a thai peanut curry. I'm excited about this curry because besides tofu and all the usual veggies I've added cubed yams. hehe. I'm sure the rice will not live up to Ben's, however, He has a serious rice routine down and I'm an amateur.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some really simple and quick recipes for you. The first is something I make all.the.time: Quiche. The second is the simplest fudge but taken up a notch.

Okay, so on to the quiche. I'm not going to post how to make a pie crust. So, whatever kind of crusty you like to make go ahead and make it.
Now that your crust is ready you add a layer of cheese. You can choose any kind that you like, shred it, and layer it across the bottom of the crust. By putting the cheese at the bottom and not into the rest of the ingredients you create a barrier so that the bottom doesn't get all mushy.
Second step: you layer whatever you want on top of the cheese. I usually do cheddar and then broccoli. Or swiss and then asparagus. Yesterday I did a mix of all the cheese I had at home and then frozen spinach. Spinach is the only veg i'd recommend using frozen- the rest are fine with fresh if you bought it that day or the day before. Another option besides vegetables is meats. Pieces of ham, crumbles of sausage- I've done this too but soy meats (obviously).
Third step: make the custard layer. I've looked around and most people say to mix 3 eggs with 1 cup of milk. I usually do 4 eggs with 1.25 cups of milk. You can also add your herbs and spices to this mixture. Whip up the eggs/mix and then pour it into the already cheesed/etc pie crust. Most vegetables will float in the custard. No biggie. Pop the whole thing in an oven at 375F for 35 minutes. (In my oven I have to rotate it after about 20 minutes so know your oven). Then, after 35 minutes you can take it out and sprinkle more cheese over the top and bake again for 5 more minutes. mmm.

Quiche is such a great recipe because it's super easy, takes 5 minutes to throw together, and once it's baked it can be a meal right then or you can pop it in the fridge and have some when you wake up the next day and are too sleepy to whip up a whole meal!

On to recipe number two: chocolate peanut butter fudge. And, not just any chocolate peanut butter fudge, Super Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge. The chocolate fudge is something my mom taught me to make when I was very young.
In a saucepan heat up 12oz of chocolate chip morsels and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. Make sure that you're stirring continuously because chocolate burns easily. Once it's smooth add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Pour the whole thing into a banking pan with foil. Spread it evenly and set aside. Now, again get the saucepan out and heat up 2 cups of peanut butter morsels, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. The chocolate section should be a little set by now so pour the peanut butter section on top of it. Now, just refrigerate!

Simple right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment